Shame, Pain and Substance Use
About The Course:
Ever wonder why one person can use a substance and become addicted to where someone else might not? Join us for a discussion that expands our understanding of substance misuse and the role that it plays in the lives of clients in pain. Together we will explore how our clients' beliefs about pain, substances and themselves are greater predictors of adjustment than any other variable. Walk away with concrete strategies that you can start using with your clients immediately.
In This Online Physiotherapy Course, You’ll Learn:
- About an overview of substance use.
- Screening: who, what, where and when?
- About the continuum of use and theory of addiction.
- Shame 101 and guilt.
- Model of substance use.
- How support can help at each stage of readiness for change?
What’s Included In This Online Physiotherapy Course?
- More than 41 minutes of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: All of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A special coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Who Is This Course For?
This online course is for all rehabilitation professionals, including physiotherapists, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, chiropractors, athletic therapists, exercise therapists, kinesiologists among others. This course is also relevant for movement specialists, yoga teachers, yoga therapists, and those interested in learning more about pelvic floor health and wellness.
Can I Share a Course with a Friend or Colleague? How does the Group Discount Work?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only, and may not be shared. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code, and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material.
Contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to your request within 2 business days. You can also provide feedback on the course.
This course imparted by Pelvic Health Solutions (PHS) contains the recorded lectures from the 4th annual Pelvic Health Symposium in 2017. This course will challenge your theoretical and practical knowledge of pelvic health. Listen to their knowledge, and deepen your understanding of pelvic health and all of the factors that will make you a top-notch, excellent practitioner. You don’t have to be a practicing internal pelvic health therapist in order to benefit from this course - If your patient has a pelvis, you will benefit from this online course!
BA, MSW, RSW
Melissa is a registered social worker with over 10 years experience in the field of mental health and addiction. Currently, she works full time in the adult outpatient Mental Health and Addiction Program at Grand River Hospital delivering group and individual therapy to adults in acute mental health crisis. In addition to her work at the hospital, Melissa works at Qualia Counselling Services, a full service counselling agency specializing in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. She also provides field supervision to Laurier's MSW students.
Melissa holds an BA (hons.) in Psychology from York University and a Masters in Social Work from Wilfrid Laurier University. She is certified in Concurrent Disorders and is credentialed through the Canadian Association of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies. In order to help people unlock their full potential, Melissa has certified in the Daring Way, a highly experiential methodology in developing shame resiliency based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown.
Course Material included in this course
Shame, Pain and Substance Use
Substance Use Overview
Screening — Who, What, Where and When
Continuum of Use and a Theory of Addiction
The Model of Substance Use
The Help of Support