Knee Osteoarthritis Management – An Evidence-Based Update for Physiotherapists
About The Course
Briefly describe the topic or project to be discussed, including any strengths/weaknesses in the current knowledge base and any existing barriers to its translation/application in clinical practice.
There is a strong push towards evidence-based practice in physiotherapy. A number of international guidelines (OARSI, EULAR, NICE and ACR) providing evidence-based recommendations on the conservative management of knee osteoarthritis are currently available to clinicians. However, current research indicates that clinical practice does not seem to reflect these recommendations. Evidence-based guidelines have the potential to improve the quality of care provided by clinicians by promoting the use of effective interventions and discouraging unnecessary and ineffective interventions. Consequently, there is a need for better dissemination and awareness of international guideline recommendations for the conservative management of knee osteoarthritis in order to ensure optimum guideline adherence.
In This Online Course, You Will Learn To:
- Integrate and apply simple strategies in clinical practice to explain knee osteoarthritis, establish realistic treatment plans and manage patient expectations.
- Integrate and apply evidence-based physiotherapy management strategies for individuals with knee osteoarthritis in clinical practice.
- Educate individuals with knee osteoarthritis regarding other available treatment strategies (biomechanical, pharmacological and surgical).
Who Is This Course For?
This online course is for all rehabilitation professionals, including physiotherapists, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, chiropractors, athletic therapists, exercise therapists, kinesiologists among others.
What's Included In This Online Healthcare Course?
- 53 minutes 59 seconds of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Relevance to Physiotherapy Practice
Current research indicates that clinical practice does not seem to reflect recommendations from currently available clinical practice guidelines for the management of knee osteoarthritis.
This informative course will provide clinicians with a better understanding of the complex etiology of knee osteoarthritis and provide evidence-based, clinically relevant recommendations regarding the management of knee osteoarthritis.
Ultimately, this knowledge translation initiative will serve as an update on current best practices in physiotherapy for the management of knee osteoarthritis, with an emphasis on high-value treatment options, to help improve patient outcomes in clinical practice.
Course Material included in this course
Welcome and Course Slides
Introduction and Learning Objectives
Osteoarthritis Treatment Options
Non-Surgical Management of Osteoarthritis
Surgical Management of Osteoarthritis and Conclusion
Feedback for this Course