Integrating Yoga into Health Care: An Introduction and Overview for Health Care Professionals
Integrating Yoga into Health Care:
An Introduction and Overview for Health Care Professionals
Yoga is a science that provides us with a philosophical framework as well as practical tools and practices that promote health, resiliency, and happiness. The yoga system is fundamentally a bio-psycho-social-spiritual model, and so there has never been a better time to explore the integration of this powerful wisdom tradition into health care.
In this introductory course, Diana Perez, physiotherapist and professional yoga therapist, will give an overview of yoga and yoga therapy, provide the science behind yoga/yoga therapy, explain the numerous therapeutic effects of yoga, and present various other topics that will provide background and context for the integration of yoga into health care. In addition to the 23 theoretical modules, there are additional bonus recordings and resources.
About the Course:
- Who: For all health care professionals, particularly those that have little or no experience with yoga / yoga therapy or how yoga can be integrated into health care.
- What: An introduction and broad overview on yoga, yoga therapy, the science of yoga and various aspects of integrating yoga into health care.
- When: Lifetime access anytime that is convenient for you.
- Where: Online on Embodia Academy.
- Why: Because of its broad-based therapeutic effects, yoga therapy can be used to improve clinical outcomes in an array of clinical environments and with varied types of patient populations. Some examples: Orthopaedics/MSK (all conditions), Neurology (Parkinson’s, MS, ALS, Stroke, etc.), Cancer, Arthritis (OA, RA, Fibromyalgia), Chronic Pain, Pelvic Floor Pain/Dysfunction, Post-Surgical Conditions, Cardiorespiratory, Obesity, Diabetes, Chronic Stress, Mental Health, etc.
At the end of this course participants will understand and know:
- The rationale for Integrating Yoga in Health Care
- The fundamentals of what are Yoga (Y) and Yoga Therapy (YT)
- The science of Y/YT
- The therapeutic effects of Y/YT
- The effects of YT on different physiological systems and the conditions it ca be used for
- A brief history of ancient yoga and how Y/YT developed in NA and globally
- The differences between Y and YT
- The development of YT from Y
- What framework, practices and techniques YT offers
- How YT can be integrated into Health Care
- How Health Care Professionals differ from Yoga Therapists
- Chronic Disease Epidemic / Pillars of Health & Disease Prevention/Rx
- Rationale for Yoga Therapy in Health Care
- YT is a Bio-Psycho-Social-Spiritual (BPS+S) Model of Care
- Current Western Medical Model vs Yoga Therapy Model
- The Science of Yoga and Yoga Therapy / Therapeutic Effects of Yoga
- How does Yoga/Yoga Therapy work on the different Physiological Systems?
- Examples of Conditions responding to Yoga/Yoga Therapy
- Yoga Therapy for Chronic Pain: Concepts from IAYT White Paper
- What is Yoga?
- Origins & Brief History of Ancient Yoga
- Yoga comes to North America
- Styles of Yoga and their development
- The 8 Limbed Path of Yoga
- Elements of a Yoga Practice / Essence and Evolution of a Yoga Practice
- Asanas in Yoga
- What is Yoga Therapy?
- Difference between Yoga & Yoga Therapy
- The development of Yoga Therapy
- General Concepts about YT: Ayurvedic Medicine - Sister Science of Yoga / Yoga Therapy
- General Concepts about YT: The 5 Koshas / Pentagon of Wellness
- Using Yoga Therapy in Health Care: Medical Yoga Therapy
- Yoga Alliance and the International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Becoming a Yoga Therapist / Yoga Therapist vs HCP using yoga in Health Care
- Free access to webinar "Intro to Yoga for HCPs: Personal and Patient Care Now and in the Future".
- Recording: Examples of Clinical Environments in which HCPs are Integrating Yoga: A discussion.
- Recording: Examples of how HCPs Integrate Yoga into HC: A discussion.
- Medical Yoga Therapy / Yoga Therapy General Information, Resources and Links
- Listing of General Yoga and Yoga Therapy Books
- Listing of Accessible/Adapted Yoga and Yoga Therapy Books and Resources
B.Sc. P.T., M.Sc. Rehab. Science Physiotherapist / Professional Yoga Therapist / Dip. Sports PT
Diana is a physiotherapist (McGill University B.Sc.1985; M.Sc.1993) and yoga therapist who has worked in the rehabilitation field, sports world and the wellness and fitness industries for over 45 years. She is the founder and previous owner (1997-2009) of the Medi-Club Physiotherapy & Medical Wellness Centre (Kirkland, Quebec), where she continues to practice as a clinical physiotherapist and yoga therapist.
She has been a practicing clinician since 1985 and has advanced specializations in sports physiotherapy, orthopedics, manual therapy, back & neck rehabilitation, muscle energy, myofascial release and therapeutic exercise prescription. She has also done extensive training in the areas of functional medicine, wellness, nutrition, naturopathy, ayurvedic medicine and acupuncture.
She has been practicing yoga since 2000 and teaching yoga since 2002. She has 2 yoga teacher training certifications (Hatha & Ashtanga - RYA) and is also certified as a Professional Yoga Therapist (PYTI). She is the founder and director of the Canadian Yoga Therapy Institute and has developed and teaches a curriculum of courses to health care professionals on how to integrate yoga into clinical practice. (Medical Yoga Therapy, Yoga for Musculoskeletal and Neurological PT Practices, Yoga for Pelvic Floor PT Practice, Teaching and Sequencing Yoga Safely, etc.)
Diana taught for 20 years at the School of Physical and Occupational Therapy of McGill University (Faculty of Medicine) and has presented at various national and international congresses and conferences in the areas of physiotherapy, sports medicine, sports physiotherapy and yoga therapy. She is a faculty member of various Yoga Teacher Training Programs and teaches numerous yoga and yoga therapy related workshops to yoga teachers throughout NA. She also continues to teach yoga classes and workshops to the public at several locations in the West Island of Montreal and runs numerous annual national and international yoga and yoga therapy retreats.
She is currently on the Board of Directors of the Quebec Physiotherapy Association and was on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) from 2007 to 2014. In 2020 she was the recipient of the CPA Lifetime Membership Award in recognition of her longstanding contribution to the profession.
www.dianaperezpt.com Contact Diana for any questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Material included in this course
Introduction to Instructor and Course Objectives
WHY USE YOGA/YOGA THERAPY IN HEALTH CARE? - MODULES 1-4
MODULE 1: Chronic Disease Epidemic / Pillars of Health and Disease Prevention & Treatment
MODULE 2: Rationale for Yoga Therapy in Health Care
MODULE 3: Yoga Therapy is a Bio-Psycho-Social-Spiritual (BPS+S) Model of Care
MODULE 4: Current Western Medical Model vs Yoga Therapy Model
Feedback Modules 1-4
THE SCIENCE AND THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS OF YOGA/YOGA THERAPY - MODULES 5-8
MODULE 5: The Science of Yoga and Yoga Therapy / Therapeutic Effects of Yoga
MODULE 6: How Does Yoga / Yoga Therapy Work on the Different Physiological Systems
MODULE 7: Examples of Conditions Responding to Yoga / Yoga Therapy
MODULE 8: Yoga Therapy for Chronic Pain: Concepts from IAYT White Paper
Feedback Modules 5-8
WHAT IS YOGA? - MODULES 9-15
MODULE 9: What is Yoga?
MOUDLE 10: Origins & a Brief History of Ancient Yoga
MOUDLE 11: Yoga comes to North America
MODULE 12: Styles of Yoga and their Development
MODULE 13: The 8-Limbed Path of Yoga
MODULE 14: Elements / Essence & Evolution of a Yoga Practice
MODULE 15: Asanas in Yoga
Feedback Modules 9-15
WHAT IS YOGA THERAPY? - MODULES 16-20
MODULE 16: What is Yoga Therapy?
MODULE 17: Difference between Yoga and Yoga Therapy
MODULE 18: The development of Yoga Therapy
MOUDLE 19: General Concepts about Yoga Therapy and Ayurvedic Medicine- Sister Science of Yoga
MODULE 20: General Concepts about Yoga Therapy: The 5 Koshas / Pentagon of Wellness
Feedback Modules 16-20
USING YOGA THERAPY IN HEALTH CARE - MODULES 21-23
MODULE 21: Using Yoga Therapy in Health Care: Medical Yoga Therapy
MODULE 22: Yoga Alliance / International Association of Yoga Therapists
MOUDLE 23: Becoming a Yoga Therapist / Yoga Therapist vs Health Care Professional using Yoga Therapy in Health Care
Feedback Modules 21-23
FREE ACCESS TO WEBINAR: Introduction to Yoga for HCPs: Personal and Patient Care Now and in the Future (Run Time: 1:18:46)
RECORDING: Examples of Clinical Environments in which HCPs are Integrating Yoga: A discussion
RECORDING: Examples of How HCPs Integrate Yoga into HC: A discussion
Feedback Bonus Material
MYT/YT General Information, Resources and Links
General Yoga and Yoga Therapy Books
Accessible/Adapted Yoga and Yoga Therapy Books and Resources
Course Evaluation - 2 minutes