Ask Me Anything: Headaches and Concussions
About The Course
Meaghan Adams joined us for a one hour ask me anything style webinar where she answered questions from the audience including:
- When cognitive impairments are present, are there any outcome measures and/or exercises that we can use as physiotherapists to help?
- Have you ever encountered patients who only have specific positional issues (ex: head flexion)? Any suggestions apart from gradual exposure therapy?
- How is technology (ex: virtual reality) being used in the rehabilitation of concussions?
- When do you refer patients to neurologists if you believe they are concussed?
- VOMS assessment vs application for treatment - the speed of doing these tests is fast. When they are used as part of the treatment strategy are they done at the same speed or slower but for longer periods of time?
- Do you see concussion headaches persist for more than one year? If so, what is your recommended approach for treatment?
- A lot of clients ask about cannabis for control of headaches. Have you seen any evidence for this?
- What is your opinion of dry needling for concussion symptoms?
- What is the best way to build a team around yourself? For example, you are a concussion trained physiotherapist and want to attract a family doctor, occupational therapist, psychologist, etc. into your practice.
- What advice do you have for managing tinnitus post-concussion?
In This Online Healthcare Course, You Will Learn:
- How do you describe the pathology of a concussion to a patient and their family?
- How do we change our management approach for someone with acute vs. chronic concussion symptoms?
- What is the role of a Physiotherapist in managing post-traumatic headaches?
- How do you decide what to treat first when a patient has a lot of symptoms?
- Current best practices regarding baseline testing.
Who Is This Course For?
Rehab professionals: physiotherapists, occupational therapists, athletic therapists, kinesiologists, massage therapists, and chiropractors. This course will also benefit movement therapists and teachers, as well as those interested in learning more about the headache.
What's Included In This Online Healthcare Course?
- More than 2 hours of video lessons that were recorded on the live Ask Me Anything webinar.
- A bonus section of additional video lessons where Meaghan answers the questions she was unable to get to on the live webinar!
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot.
- This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
How Can I Get This Course At a Discounted Rate?
This course is specially priced for Embodia Members. The benefit of becoming an Embodia Member includes free and discounted courses, free webinars, professional development coaching, and home exercise software. The Embodia Membership is only $15/month (or $13.50 on our annual plan). You can become an Embodia Member by visiting this page: https://embodiaapp.com/subscriptions If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at email@example.com to arrange a group discount. The larger the group, the larger the discount.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to your request within 2 business days.
PT, BSc, MSc(PT), PhD(Neuroscience)
Meaghan earned her physiotherapy degree from Queen’s University, and completed Fowler-Kennedy’s Sport Physiotherapy Fellowship before earning a Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy from Sport Physiotherapy Canada. She also holds a Certificate in Vestibular Rehabilitation from Emory University. Meaghan completed her PhD in neuroscience at the University of Waterloo, studying how concussions affect brain function and sensory integration, and is currently a post-doctoral fellow at Toronto Rehab and York University studying the integration of cognition, motor function, and sensory inputs in adults with prolonged concussion symptoms using virtual reality and tablet-based computing.
Meaghan serves as the vice-chair of the Neurosciences Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, and is an Assistant Clinical Professor (Adjunct) at McMaster University’s School of Rehabilitation Science.
Course Material included in this course
Highlights from the Webinar Free
Highlight - Cannabis and Dry Needling
Evidence Informed Management of Headaches and Concussions
Options for PTs
Specific Positional Issues
VR and Other New Treatment Technologies
When to Refer and Vestibular-Ocular Exercises
VOMS vs. Application for Treatment
Cannabis and Dry Needling
Building a Team
Tinnitus, Oculomotor Dysfunctions, and Rebound Headaches
Answers To Questions We Didn't Get To On The Webinar
Never Stop Learning: Next Steps